Bot: the Gravitron of VVVVVV (DQN vs search-based) Link
It motivated me to dig in the source code and see what I could do... and I finally decided to make a bot for the Super-Gravitron (a mode of the game where we have to avoid projectiles)!
I first made a Python bot using an implementation of a DQN in order to learn to play this game, as it was done by Google for some Atari games (link). For that, I customized the game a little in order to be able to feed it inputs from the console, and to output the current game state in the console too (Github).
Then, a little deceived by the result (though it was performing way better than the average human, it did not break the ~10min record of my friend!), I decided to make another bot, this time without using machine learning. I replicated the physics of the game in Julia (for better performances than Python), and made a search-based bot. This time, the record was beaten... 💪